Several people have been injured after a man opened fire on Monday in a tram in Utrecht, Netherlands.
The shooter, police say, is still at large and they are treating the case as a terrorist attack.
Trains have stopped running into Utrecht Central station while schools and mosques have been asked to keep their doors closed for safety.
Prime Minister Mark Rutte said he was “deeply concerned” with the development which comes a few days after several persons were killed in mosque attacks in New Zealand.
Security services have reportedly told Utrecht’s University Medical Centre to open the dedicated emergency ward to help care for the injured.
“A man started shooting wildly,” an eyewitness told Dutch news site NU.nl.
Casualty figure is not known yet as authorities grapple with taking care of the injured.
Armed police were searching multiple buildings in the Dutch city of Utrecht on Monday after a possible terrorist shooting on a tram left at least one person feared dead and up to 20 injured, some seriously.
“A terrorist motive cannot be excluded” in the incident, which happened at about 10.45am at a tram stop on the city’s central 24 Oktoberplein junction, a police spokesman, Bernhard Jens, told reporters at the scene.
Jens said he could not immediately confirm any fatalities but Dutch media published footage of a body on the ground and reporters said at least 20 people had been admitted to hospital for treatment.
Utrecht police issued a CCTV picture of the suspect, whom they named as Turkish-born Gökman Tanis, aged 37, and warned people not to approach him themselves but to alert the authorities if they saw him. They also appealed for witness photographs.
The Dutch national terrorism coordinator told a press conference that a “complex operation” was under way to apprehend what police believed was a single suspect. “Every effort was now being focused” on apprehending the man, Pieter-Jaap Aalbersberg said.
Aalbersberg raised the alert level in Utrecht province to its maximum after the incident. Local schools and colleges were ordered to keep their doors closed until further notice and security was increased in the nearby cities of Amsterdam, Rotterdam and The Hague as well as at Schiphol airport.
The local council advised all Utrecht’s residents to stay indoors if at all possible as the scene of the shooting remained cordoned off and a police anti-terrorism units carried out searches in multiple buildings and apartment blocks in the area.